Munson Park is a recreational park located in Monroe, MI. The park has an important place in the history of Monroe, as it was originally used to train pilots for World War II.
The central feature of Munson Park is its fountain, which has the traditional design with five nozzles and reaches a height of 18 feet (5.5 m). It was donated by local business man Harrison M. Cummer and his wife Mary Riggs Cummer on July 4, 1928: “As a token of our appreciation and esteem this fountain is erected and dedicated.”
Munson Park hosts the annual Moonlight Festival during Labor Day weekend each year on Saturday evening. Artisans, food vendors, musicians, entertainers and more are all on hand to offer the public a great time.
Munson Park is also known for its duck pond, which was originally created in 1923 by Monroe resident Ray Hawley. His idea was that of an “impounding reservoir” to supply water to nearby farms during dry seasons. Today it is home to many species of fish and wildlife that have made their home there. The area around the pond has become a popular place for photographers who enjoy catching beautiful shots of this local landmark at different times throughout the day or night. There are several fishing piers on the lake where people may cast out lines with hooks baited with worms or minnows.